As a business owner, I’ve managed every functional area of a company or firm. I consult with businesses and firms where I can help the principals focus on their professional work by making the office and business run smoothly.
- Set up chart of accounts in Quickbooks for an LLC.
- Recommended and set up industry-specific accounting/production software for present employer.
- Bookkeeping experience, including P&L responsibility, in family business.
- Write job descriptions.
- Interview and hire candidates.
- Train, motivate, and reward employees who exceed expectations.
- Discipline, and write up underperforming employees.
- Handle termination proceedings when necessary.
- Familiar with HR regulations.
- Experienced with multi-state, remote hiring situations.
IT & Office Equipment
- Recommend and implement network server and related equipment.
- Configure and maintain email systems.
- Familiar with IT security regulations and requirements concerning transmission of confidential client/patient data.
- Knowledgable about maintaining IT systems to ensure availability, uptime, and protection against data loss.
- Experience negotiating with telecom, support, and equipment dealers.
- Direct sales experience
- Web development experience, including eCommerce with secure online payment methods.
- Copy writing, social media, and PR experience.
- Extensive local experience networking with members of chambers of commerce.
- Write policies and procedures for most areas of the business for current employer.
- Lead weekly process improvement meeting for current employer to improve efficiency and communications.
Chief Operating Officer
March 2016 – present
Assumed these duties around that time and became W-2 employee January of 2017. Company has grown from 2-3 developers to 15-20 developers, leaders, and Project Managers since I started working with them as a consultant in February 2015. I’ve worked with them on all aspects of the business, especially accounting, cost analysis, and Human Resources practices. I’ve also served as an advisor to the owner in areas including sales and marketing, which has led to a complete transformation of the book of business from small, local websites to national accounts.
Nectar Bridge, LLC
February 2015 – present
I work with businesses to help them make money while following ethical principles and best practices. I’m currently working extensively with www.jamersan.com, a Magento implementation shop in Opelika AL, but am open to additional opportunities.
General Manager, Prattville Division
IT & eCommerce Manager
October 2009 – February 2015
I managed the Prattville division of AKD, as well as eCommerce and fulfillment operations. I also worked on other projects as required.
AKD operates uniform programs, member stores, and similar operations for leading organizations nationwide, and is one of the largest providers of screen printing, embroidery, and ad specialty products in the region savoir plus.
I led and managed all personnel at the Prattville location. I more than doubled their business in the Prattville location during my tenure. The staff includes accounting, salespeople, production, and warehouse personnel. I served on the board of directors for the Prattville Area Chamber of Commerce and was an active member of the Rotary Club.
I managed member stores, online employee uniform programs for national companies, and fulfillment programs. AKD maintains websites in-house to support these programs, as well as a warehouse and other resources to provide for the storage and shipment of product to these clients’ customers.
- Recommended and managed the implementation of OnSite, an industry-specific production and accounting software from Shopworks. Previous system was based on paper forms in production and Sage Accounting for financials; new system integrates all departments of the business and has streamlined communication and enhanced productivity.
- Led transition from inadequate network configuration and bandwidth to a Microsoft Exchange Server environment with a VLAN connecting two locations of the business. The improvements reduced spam to negligible levels, provided better virus and firewall protection, and provided a secure backup system for company graphics and data.
- Led weekly process improvement meetings to improve communications between departments and clarify procedures.
- Bonnie Plant Farms (Agriculture)
- (ISC)² (IT Security Certification – best known for the CISSP credential)
- Sourcefire (IT Security – bought out by Cisco in 2013 and has continued as a customer)
- Alabama Power / Southern Company (power generation)
Artesian City Marketing
November 2002 – October 2009
I was promoted to General Manager and started the eCommerce operation of the Art Stitch embroidery and screen printing business. The name change to Artesian City Marketing soon followed. I developed entire client base of e-commerce, fulfillment, and online company apparel stores, and was responsible for all areas of business – accounting, business development, production, and marketing.
We sold the business to AKD in 2009 and I continued as their Prattville Manager.
Art Stitch Embroidery
April 1997 – November 2002
I was one of the founders of this business, which began as a local embroidery, screen-printing and promotional products business after I wrote a business plan as part of an AUM class project. It was founded as a side project of Marking Systems, Inc. and became larger than the parent company. We competed successfully with companies many times our size.
Marking Systems, Inc.
June 1984 – April 1997
I sold industrial marking and coding supplies, and later electronic ink jet coding equipment and labeling equipment, to manufacturing plants, primarily in the paper industry in Alabama. Industries sold to included paper, chemicals, food, snack food, and tires, to name a few. I worked for a family business with 5 employees and sold to Fortune 500 companies like International Paper, Sara Lee/Jimmy Dean, and Dunlop Tires.
- BS/BA Marketing, Auburn University Montgomery 1997. GPA 3.77, Magna Cum Laude.
- Phi Kappa Phi and other honor societies.